Sunday, July 23, 2017

Call Down the Angels From on High


Hello Sisters!
I'm going to direct this blog to you!
Today is Sunday...a day of rest. A day of worship. A day of...Peace.
I saw this article (from LDS.ORG) and it really touched me. I have felt so exhausted the past two weeks,
so the title speaks volumes!


This article is a MUST READ. Its based on a talk By Sister Sharon Eubank, (First Counselor in the Relief Society General Presidency of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.)

She gave this talk at an address at BYU Women's Conference in Provo Utah, on May 5, 2017.
Her talk is titled:
Relief Society - Divinely Ordained of God
You can watch her whole talk here.
In her talk, she bears her testimony that in our time of need, when we are too tired to do one thing more...we can call up to God and ask that He send us His angels to help and bless us, and they will help us carry our load and strengthen us so that we can accomplish things which are beyond our own physical strength.


She shares a quote that she found scribbled on the back of a slip of paper that she found in a time of need which was an answer to her concerns and her prayers.

“When you can’t give more, when you’ve gone beyond your ability to give, then sit still. Call on the Holy Ghost and angels to come to you. Be still and get full.”


Have you ever felt like this? like you can hardly do one more thing?
Have you ever felt so exhausted that it hurt to take a deep breath and you could hardly stand to move even an ounce because you felt like if you stood up, your muscles felt so worn out that they might not hold you up? Have you ever felt so tired that the tears are right at the surface...even though you might be really happy...despite the exhaustion?

I have felt this way several times in my life. This week, was exactly like this. This week, I was reminded of other times in my life when I had felt this type of exhaustion, and the divine help that
was given to me by angels from heaven.



There was a time about 18 years ago, when my husband and I were going through a difficult time in our marriage, and I was using all my strength, emotionally, physically, mentally, and spiritually, to do all that I could to save our marriage. Pleading with the Lord for guidance many times a day, fasting, several times a week and attending the
Temple at least once a week. At one point, I was so exhausted, that I wasn't sure how I was going to get all my house work done, or care for our 7 children that day, because I was so depleted.


So, I got down on my knees and plead with the lord to send me 10 women who could help me and
support me in my time of need.


I can remember being on my knees and cleaning the base boards, when I felt other women kneeling beside me and behind me...yet there was no one there, that I could see with my natural eyes. I felt them and other heavenly beings; which I sensed were angels, working with me all day long.

I sensed that these women were those who were my ancestors who had gone before me. I could sense their great love for me as I/we cleaned. They stayed with me all day long, silently working beside me. Once in a while I would seem to hear laughter, as though they were chatting and one of them said something funny...but I couldn't quite make out what they were saying. A couple of times, I even heard them singing. I couldn't recognize the song...because it was so soft, but I knew they were singing while they worked with me, and they buoyed me up as I went about my chores of deep cleaning my home.

I have never known my home to get clean so quickly or to sparkle to greatly as I did that day, when angels and ancestors came to lend me a hand and support me in my work!

When I got done and looked around, I was AMAZED! I felt like I had my own special "secret" dream team!

When my husband came home, he noticed how "exceptionally" clean the house was, and remarked at how beautiful and clean everything was. He said I must have worked extra hard that day...but I told him , I was actually surprised at how easy it was...and I proceeded to tall him of my special sacred experience!




I will NEVER forget this experience! It was a testimony to me that Heaven is really not far away!
And that Angels and those sweet spirits in Heaven who "belong to us" are always watching over us and are VERY invested in our lives and in serving and helping us when we need them and ask for their assistance!

Angels have been spoken of for centuries. Paintings have been drawn of them, songs have been written of them...
Hearts have yearned to believe that there really could be angelic being from heaven on high that could comfort us
and hold us and bless us while on the earth. That a small piece of Heaven could be a part of this world with us too...
Here is one of the sweetest pictures I've ever seen of an angel comforting a child...


There seems to be power, and safety, and great love in this painting. The child seems to be holding on for dear life...as if she knows instinctively, that she can trust this angelic being.
And the look on the female angels face is one of serenity, grace and confidence. Her robe is flying up above her head as the light from Heaven shines down on her and the child. To me it is so precious.

This is one of my favorite paintings. When I was a young child, my grandmother had this painting on her wall in her bedroom. She used to describe to me how the angels were watching over the Christ Child and playing their Heavenly music for him...their Angel lullaby. 

She used to talk to me about how Jesus was once a little child...just like me. At age 5 this was quite the incredible thing for me to know. I felt close to Him. I loved Him. Even at that tender age, I felt a deep and abiding love for this little Christ child. 

I can remember wishing I had been there, the day He was born. 
Look at the expressions of the angels in this close-up.

Such care and protection and devotion on their faces. Mary seems to be tired as well, although you can seem to feel her deep love for her baby Jesus.


Angels have been spoken of in rescuing and assisting those in need, in all generations. 

Here are two of my favorite paintings which depict the help the Mormon Pioneers felt as they crossed the plains to Utah:


You can read the incredible story behind this painting here

I have recently learned that many of my cousins were in the Martin and Willie handcart companies. So, this painting means even more to me now than when I first saw it and was choked with tears as the Holy Spirit bore witness to me of the truthfulness of this beautiful, yet painful story. I am so grateful for the angels that attended my many cousins during that difficult, cold, and dreary journey. 

This one is called "He Strengthens Me
 By Tim Bird

It is a reminder that we all need a little hand now an then.
You can order a copy of this painting here

In April 1992, Bruce Hafen gave a talk titled:
In his talk, he states. " At Certain sacred times, God has sent his holy angels to instruct and minister to his children."

When my children were young, I used to sing them this song from the play, My Turn on Earth, called "Angel Lullaby." Now, I sing it to my grandchildren.


Reba Macintyre sings a beautiful angle lullaby here:


Here is another sweet angel song by Richard Marx


Here is a classic from Billy Joel


Here is a sweet little lullaby called Dreaming Angel


And...one of my favorites...
Songs of the Angels



I testify to you, that Angels really DO come to our aid , IF we call upon God and ask for their divine assistance.

We can count on this to be true.

There are many sources for scriptures that speak of the care and duty of angels. Here are three:



1. This one shares the many places that angels are mentioned here.
2. This one shares how angels help us, here.
3. This one gives more Bibles verses about Angels here.

This is one of my most favorite stories in the Book of Mormon about angels; 3rd Nephi Chapter 17.

Here is a guide to help you know a little more about the different types of angels.

Jeffery R. Holland, of the quorum of the twelve apostles, for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, spoke about angels in his 2008 Conference talk; The Ministering of Angels.

This is one of my most favorite talks! I hope it may comfort you in your time of need as it has comforted me many times in my life.

"God never leaves us alone, never leaves us unaided in the challenges that we face."


When speaking of Adam and Eve, Elder Holland tells how God knew of their challenges when they left the garden of Eden, and how God helped them in their times of need. He says...


"...But in times of special need, He sent angels, divine messengers, to bless His children, reassure them that heaven was always very close and that His help was always very near."

I pray that you will have angels in your life, both heavenly angles and earthly angels to guide you and assist you
along your way.

Love and blessings,

Renee 💜




No comments:

Post a Comment